Gajar ki Kanji
250 gm: Carrots-preferably the dark variety (called kaali gajar)
3 tbsp: Powdered mustard seeds
6 cups: Water
2 tbsp: Salt
- Peel the carrots, and cut them into approx. 7 cm / 3″ pieces, not too thin (about finger size).
- Boil the water and add the carrots to it. When the water comes to a boil again, shut off the heat and leave to cool.
- Add the salt and the mustard powder, and transfer into a jar with a lid, and keep this in the sun, to mature.
- In sunny weather, it takes 3-4 days, for the taste of the mustard to become strong.
- Do not keep the jar in the sun, after it is ready.